Saturday, October 15, 2011

Recuperating at home--Important stuff

The two weeks following my return home were crucial to the healing of such a large wound.   Set the alarm clock, and Superman spent 14 days turning me from side-to-side, every 2 hours.  I was about 80lbs. and needed to put on weight.  Proper diet is crucial to the healing process--especially protein.  At least 60 to 80 grams per day, along with the proper balance of electrolytes, and extra zinc, iron, vitamins D &C.  I used liquid protein supplements along with powdered pea protein and powdered egg-white protein.  The liquid supplements made me urinate more.  For electrolytes, I like emergenC,  be careful not to overdo the zinc intake.  Soups with protein supplements, and milk (Lactade for my IBD) smoothies with egg-white protein added. The wound was covered and the surgeon said to keep the dressing on, so we did.  After a week we changed it.  At all times the wound was clean, dry, and had no weight put on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment